Keys to Evaluating Published Data and Summarizing Your Validation Studies
Monday September 23rd, 2019 // 8:30 am - 11:30 am // Chino
Registration fees include breakfast
Validation study summaries and published research studies play a critical role in informing the forensic science testing and legal communities about various experiments performed, data generated and conclusions derived from the studies. These studies may impact the way testing is performed, or the evaluation and/or interpretation of information gained from testing of evidence samples in a crime laboratory. The reader of the studies needs to critically evaluate the experimental design, materials and methods used, data obtained and the conclusions presented to appropriately gauge the usefulness and value of the study.
- Gain skills for critiquing and evaluating summaries and published studies that may have applications for forensic DNA testing
- Learn how the scientific method applies to studies in forensic sciences, and in particular, DNA testing
- Get hands on experience for finding the relevant information from papers and evaluating what information is missing
- Discuss how the studies may or may not impact casework samples and data
- Acquire information that will aid in the writing of summaries of validations studies and manuscripts to be submitted for publication
Analysts, technical leaders, students, attorneys, judges, consultants, academics. No prior knowledge required but an understanding of the DNA testing process would be helpful.
NIST Fellow & Special Assistant to the Director at the National Institute of Standards and Technology
John M. Butler is an internationally recognized expert in forensic DNA analysis and holds a Ph.D. in analytical chemistry from the University of Virginia. He has written five textbooks on Forensic DNA Typing (2001, 2005, 2010, 2012, and 2015) and given hundreds of invited talks to scientists, lawyers, and members of the general public throughout the United States and in 25 other countries so far.Submit Questions
Charlotte Word is currently a consultant in Human DNA Identification testing. She has performed technical reviews on many 1000’s of cases from several public and private DNA testing laboratories and has participated in the validation of various DNA test systems. Charlotte has testified as an expert witness in over 300 trials and admissibility hearings around the country since 1990.Submit Questions