Home // 2022 ISHI Threesis Academic Challenge
Announcing the ISHI Threesis Academic Challenge
Can you summarize your research in just three minutes? As a student or newly minted forensic scientist, you have limited opportunities to showcase your work before your peers and presenting at a scholarly conference can be daunting. This Threesis challenge is an opportunity to refine your thinking and hone your communication skills so that you can articulate the impact your research has on the field of DNA forensics. The competition also hopes to foster engagement and collaboration between individuals by promoting your research to a wider audience.
To participate in the challenge, prepare a three-minute video explaining your research and submit via our website by July 15, 2022. Videos should be received in MP4 format and will be shared on our YouTube Channel where viewers will have until July 31, 2022, to cast their vote for their favorite by liking the video. Videos will be judged on the following criteria:
- Did the presenter introduce the topic well?
- Need and relevance of the research to the field of DNA forensics
- Did the presenter explain the methods and results concisely and clearly?
- Did the presenter make good use of slide design/images/etc.?
- Did the presenter speak at an appropriate pace and volume?
- Was the presentation captivating?
Two winners will be selected based on the number of likes their videos have received. The first-place winner will receive a $500 cash prize and the opportunity to have a pizza party for their entire lab. The second-place winner will receive a $250 cash prize. Additionally, both winning videos will be shared in the August issue of The ISHI Report, and winning presenters will be be eligible to submit an article for consideration to be printed in the peer-reviewed Forensic Genomics journal. All who submit a video will receive a free ISHI t-shirt (and their advising professor) just for entering the challenge.
Who is eligible to participate?
The 2022 ISHI Threesis Academic Challenge is open to all currently enrolled students in a forensic science (or a similarly named program) at the undergraduate or graduate levels or those who have been working in the forensic DNA field for 3 years or less. Applicants must present original research that is their own or was done in a group, however, only one person may present per presentation (group presentations are not permitted).
*Applicants do NOT need to be registered to attend ISHI to qualify.
How to apply?
To apply, participants will need to fill out an application on our website by July 15, 2022. Applicants will be asked for general contact info as well as a brief title and abstract of their project (ideally 250 words or less).
- Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to all currently enrolled students in a forensic science (or a similarly named program) at the undergraduate or graduate levels or those who have been working in the forensic DNA field for 3 years or less. Applicants must present original research that is their own or was done in a group, however, only one person may present per presentation (group presentations are not permitted). Applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older as of the date of entry. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. The Campaign is void where prohibited by law.
- Agreement to Rules: By participating, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of ISHI as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
- Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting 9:00am CST Monday, May 23, 2022, ending 11:59pm CST Friday, July 15, 2022.
- How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting your application on the ISHI website. The entry must fulfill all Campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of ISHI. Each valid participant may enter only once. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of ISHI.
- Prizes: The winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will each receive a monetary award in the amount of $500 or $250. The grand prize winner will be also receive a pizza party for their entire lab. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by ISHI. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at ISHI discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for ISHI to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Winner Selection and Notification: At the end of the Campaign Period, Winners will be selected based upon the number of votes (likes) their video has received. Each Winner will be notified by email within seven (7) days following selection of Winner. ISHI shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 30 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT ISHI‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
- Rights Granted by You: By entering this Campaign, You understand and agree that ISHI, anyone acting on behalf of ISHI, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent.
- Terms & Conditions: ISHI reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond ISHI’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, ISHI may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by ISHI. ISHI reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, ISHI reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless ISHI and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Campaign; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Campaign or the processing of entries.
- Disputes: THIS Campaign IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE STATE OF WISCONSIN, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, entrant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Wisconsin having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
- Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Promega, Attn: ISHI, 2800 Woods Hollow Road, Madison, WI 53711. Requests must be received no later than 5:00pm CST on Monday, August 15, 2022.
- Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is ISHI, 2800 Woods Hollow Road, Madison, WI 53711
- Consent: By participating in the Campaign, you have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all Official Rules.