Evaluation of Testimony Topics of 2018- Preparing as an Expert Witness for DNA Testimony in Today’s Courtroom
Thursday September 27th, 2018 // 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
The presenters have testified throughout the year both nationally and internationally. An evaluation of common DNA testimony topics encountered in 2018 trials by analysts will be discussed. The panel will discuss specific questions received from prosecution and defense attorneys and possible responses in expert witness testimony. The workshop will be conducted in an open forum format where attendees will be encouraged to contribute and bring forward additional testimony topics. The workshop will conclude with a question and answer session in a mock court format. Questions and topics will be accepted by attendees both before and during the workshop.
- Probabilistic genotyping (STRmix™ software and TrueAllele software)
- The likelihood ratio
- Phenotyping and forensic genealogy
- Secondary transfer (including the most recent publications on transfer)
- Next generation sequencing (NGS)/ Massively Parallel Sequencing (MPS)
- Responding to forensic implications from media publications/landmark court decisions
- Introducing new technology to the courtroom: Daubert, Frye, Frye-Mack, Rule 702, etc.
Forensic scientists, students, attorneys, laboratory managers, training managers
DNA Labs International (DLI)
Rachel Oefelein is currently the Quality Assurance Manager/Senior DNA Analyst at DNA Labs International (DLI). Her courtroom experience includes testimony in four Florida counties, two states and three countries including misdemeanor and felony trials as well as both Arthur and Daubert hearings.Submit Questions
Chief, Forensic Science & Cold Case Unit - Kings County District Attorney's Office
Ms. Rachel Singer has served as an Assistant District Attorney for 20 years. She began her career at the Bronx District Attorney's Office in the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Bureau, where she prosecuted both domestic violence and sexual assaults cases involving adults and children.Submit Questions