Unusual Collaboration and Techniques to Solve a Cold Case Homicide
Monday September 14th, 2020 // 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Fee includes breakfast, lunch, and materials.
Presentation of the challenges and obstacles faced in solving a 47 year old cold case kidnapping, sexual assault and homicide of an eleven year old girl. Unusual collaboration between numerous law enforcement agencies, medical examiner offices, forensic anthropologist, public and private forensic/DNA laboratories, unique investigative techniques and Genetic Genealogy were used to solve this case. Several generations of DNA technologies, CODIS, familial searching, genetic genealogy and human remains exhumation were utilized over sixteen years. Participants will benefit from lessons learned, new forensic approaches to solve cold cases as well as the requirements for successful prosecution of these cases.
- How to approach cold case evidence analysis and potential problems.
- Investigative approaches and problems of opening and investigating cold cases.
- Types of forensic disciplines and DNA technologies used to solve this cold case.
- How to use Genetic Genealogy analysis in solving cold cases.
- How to use private laboratories and unique forensic technologies to help solve cold cases.
- Challenges experienced in collaborating teamwork between law enforcement and medical examiner agencies, law enforcement and private forensic laboratories, and District Attorney Offices and Court systems.
- Legal requirements and concerns of using Genetic Genealogy evidence and exhumation of human remains.
Forensic Scientists, Attorneys, Detectives, Genetic Genealogists, and the general public
Senior Criminalist, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
John Bockrath has been a Senior Criminalist with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Scientific Services Bureau since 1990. During his career he has worked and testified in the areas of narcotics and blood alcohol testing, driving under the influence of alcohol, forensic biology, DNA, crime scene investigation and bloodstain pattern analysis.Submit Questions
Investigative Genetic Genealogist and Media Consultant
CeCe is an investigative genetic genealogist and media consultant. Throughout the last decade, CeCe has been considered an innovator and pioneer in the use of autosomal DNA to resolve unknown parentage and family mysteries, frequently consulted by DNA testing companies, genealogists, adoptees, law enforcement and the press.Submit Questions
DNA Labs International (DLI)
Rachel Oefelein is currently the Director of Research and Innovation and a Senior DNA Analyst at DNA Labs International (DLI). Since joining DNA Labs International in 2014, Rachel has testified in ten Florida counties, three states and four countries as an expert witness for both the prosecution and the defense in misdemeanor and felony trials, as well as Williams, Daubert and Arthur hearings.Submit Questions